A Value-Engineered Solution for St James
Added on December 15th, 2011
Category FDS News
By Bijan Fard
Adjacent to Battersea Power Station, Tideway Wharf is a high profile scheme located on the Thames that will include a mixture of high specification residential apartments, duplexes and penthouses, along with retail outlets and restaurants on the ground floor.
FDS Consult were appointed to address the fire safety design challenge for this large-scale scheme which includes seven high rise buildings, two of which are over 50m in height, and a two-level basement car park situated beneath the whole development. The fire strategy included:
- designing a non-standard, self-maintaining sprinkler system for all seven buildings
- a detailed design of the smoke venting system to all buildings and underground car park
- compartmentation of the service yard from the underground car park via a code compliant smoke venting system and sprinklers to prevent a fire in this area affecting other parts of the building
As part of their appointment to fire engineer the scheme, FDS Consult were able to identify areas of significant cost savings for the developer whilst still achieving Building Regulations approvals by
- justifying the omission of sprinklers to the car park by using a smoke control system which will assist access for fire fighters
- engineering out the requirement to protect the glazed lift shafts that are to be located outside of the building footprint
- allowing for the removal of the compartmentation within the protected hallway of apartments using enhanced fire alarm and detection system and sprinklers
- Assistance with the design the marketing suite
If you would like more detail on the strategy for this scheme please contact 01322 387 411.